Thalatta has an engine installed, again.
In 1947, her new skipper, Joe Lucas, sailed her to Richards’ yard in Lowestoft where she was again fitted with the second auxiliary engine of her career – a 80 h.p. four-cylinder marine diesel by Ruston & Hornsby of Lincoln – one of many war surplus engines which had originally been ordered for minesweepers during WWII. Thalatta’s owner, R & W Pauls, managed to get hold of half a dozen of them at a good price, for use as auxiliaries in their barges. At the same time she also had a complete refit and a wheelhouse was installed.